Boulder Theft Defense Attorneys
Theft from local businesses such as the CU bookstore, stores on the Pearl Street Mall, “the hill,” local supermarkets and convenience stores is common in Boulder. Yet, even though it is a common crime, often committed by young people who do not understand the consequences, theft carries hefty penalties in Colorado.
Getting charged with theft can leave you or your loved one with a permanent criminal record that will make it more difficult to find employment or an apartment, or achieve success in other competitive areas such as graduate schools or professional licensing.
At Jurdem, LLC, our lawyers are experienced in successfully defending against theft charges arising in Boulder or elsewhere in Colorado. Our goal is always to obtain the best result based on the facts of each case. To discuss your theft charges in a free consultation, please contact our firm.
Theft Charges In Colorado
Theft occurs when someone takes the property of another and intends to permanently deprive the person of the value of the property. Theft charges can range from a class two misdemeanor to a class three felony:
- Theft under $500: Class two misdemeanor, carrying up to one year in jail and $1,000 in fines
- Theft of $500 to $999.99: Class one misdemeanor, carrying up to 18 months in jail and $5,000 in fines
- Theft of $1,000 to $19,999.99: Class four felony, carrying up to six years in prison and $500,000 in fines
- Theft of $20,000 or more: Class three felony, carrying up to 12 years in prison and $750,000 in fines
- Theft from someone’s person (pickpocket): Class five felony, carrying up to three years in prison and $100,000 in fines. Note: If the theft involved threat of harm, you can face burglary charges.
The facts of your case will help determine your sentence. For example, if you have prior theft charges on your record or stole from a child, you may face more significant penalties. Similarly, how we defend against your charges will depend on the facts of your case and what defenses are available to you.
Free Consultation To Discuss Your Theft Crime Allegations
Discuss your theft crime allegations free of charge in an initial consultation with the criminal defense attorneys at Jurdem, LLC, in Boulder Colorado. Call 303-800-3509 or toll-free at 877-761-7852. You can also contact us online.